How to manually install WordPressWritten by Tim Sisson
The easiest method to install WordPress is through Fantastico. Fantastico is included for free with all shared hosting pacakages. If you are a VPS or Dedicated customer you can request to purchase a Fantastico license or follow the steps below to install WordPress manually.
The installation process includes downloading the WordPress files, creating a database, and configuring the installation. In this tutorial, we'll walk you through each of these steps.
Uploading the WordPress files
- First, you'll have to download the lastest version of WordPress
- Extract the files in the ZIP file you downloaded to your local computer
- Use an FTP Program to upload the files to your account. If this is your primary domain, you'll want to upload the files to the public_html folder. Be sure to upload the contents of the wordpress folder and NOT the folder itself
Creating a Database for WordPress
- Log into cPanel
- Click on the Database Wizard
- Type in the database name and click "next step"
- Fill in the database user, password, and password (again)
- Click create user
- Check the box "ALL PRIVILEGES" and click "Next Step"
- Write down the Database name, Database User, and Database password
Finishing WordPress Installation
- Go to yourdomain.com (replacing yourdomain.com with your actual domain)
- Click "Create a Configuration File" and then click "Let's Go!"
- Fill in the Database Name, User Name, and Password that you wrote down from above
- Click "Submit"
- Fill in the Site Title, Username, Password, twice, and your email
- Click "Install WordPress"
Now, when you visit your website, you'll see the default installation of WordPress:
If you need further assistance please feel free ask a question on the support center.