What to do with root access
In this article I'll be going over some common things you might want to try out after just getting root access on either your VPS (Virtual Private Server) or dedicated server.
What is root access?
The root user on a server is the user account with the highest level of access and privileges to all of your files, logs, and settings on the server. This user can also commonly be referred to as the administrator account of the server.
This is just a breif break-down of what you can do with root access:
- Edit any file on the server
- Install server wide applications
- Configure server-wide applications like Apache or MySQL
Things that require root access
Below is a collection of our articles that demonstrates some of the things that you can accomplish when you already have root access on your server.
- 302: Upgrade PHP using EasyApache
- 303: Install and configure ClamAV plugin for cPanel
- 304: Install Munin plugin for WHM
- Find email forwarders or autoresponders
- Find spam script location with Exim
- Locate email accounts being used to spam
- Locate email delivery times for an email address
- Locate spam activity by subject with Exim
- Manage the Exim mail queue via SSH
- Manage the Exim mail queue in WHM
- Process a backed up Exim mail queue
- View a summary of the Exim mail queue
- Find the number of times SpamAssassin has to run
- Copy all mail to a email address in Exim
- Copy an account from another server with root access
- Copy multiple accounts from another server with root access
- Enable cPHulk Brute Force Protection
- How do I merge multiple cPanel accounts into one
- Merge multiple cPanel accounts into one account using SSH
- Split a single cPanel account into multiple accounts using SSH
- How to change MySQL server time zone
- Custom php.ini file per user with FastCGI
- Disable POP3 mail service on server
- Create MySQL query monitoring bash script
- Using the Linux top command in batch mode
- Disable directory indexes server wide
- Disable ModSecurity for a domain
You should now have a good understanding of what you can do with your newly granted root access to your server.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!