How to Obtain Additional IP Addresses
In this tutorial:
When you sign up for a shared account (Business Class Hosting), the account will use the same "Main" IP address as the other sites on server. Dedicated and VPS servers have a single "Main" IP address set up on the server as well.
Is My IP address shared or dedicated?
The "Main" server IP address is referred to as a "Shared IP address". This is because all cPanel accounts on the server by default will use that "Main" IP address for their domain. To find if you have a dedicated IP or not, log into your cpanel and look at the stats to the left. cPanel accounts can have a dedicated IP address assigned separate from the main IP (See images below).
|cPanel IP assignments|
|Shared IP address||Dedicated IP address|
VPS and Dedicated servers do not have Dedicated IP addresses assigned by default due to IP scarcity. Even though Dedicated and VPS server plans have free IP addresses included, only the main "Shared IP" is assigned to the server. In order for an IP address to be changed or added to any server with InMotion hosting (ie., Shared, VPS, or Dedicated plans), the IP will need to be requested.
Depending on the plan you have, you may need to either purchase the IP or have it assigned for free. The next 2 sections will explain how to purchase a dedicated IP or have one assigned.
Purchasing a dedicated IP address
If you require a dedicated IP address and your plan does not have any free IP addresses included, you can purchase one for $24 per year. Dedicated IP addresses can be ordered from within your Account Management Panel (AMP). The following steps will explain how to purchase a dedicated IP address.
- Log into your Account Management Panel.
- Click on "Other" under "Additional Services".
- Click on the account you want to add an IP address to under "Add Services".
- Click on "Add IP Address".
- Confirm your payment details on the next screen.
When you order a dedicated IP address, an email will be sent to you confirming your Dedicated IP was set up with the IP included in the email. Due to DNS Propagation, the new IP address can take up to 24 hours before it is fully activated.
Adding an IP address through AMP
If your hosting plan includes an IP address, you can request it from AMP.
- Log into AMP.
- On the left hand side in the Additional Services, click Details.
- Select the plan from the list you want to add the IP to. In most cases you will only have one hosting plan. If you have multiple hosting plans, you will see more links to your other plans.
- Click Request IP address.
- Read the disclaimer for the IP address assignment. Click Proceed.
- Check your email that you signed into AMP with. You will see an initial email explaining the request was submitted.
Assigning an IP in WHM (VPS Reseller and Dedicated)
- Log into your WHM.
- You can type IP in the search to narrow the list of options on the left. Look for the IP Functions section and click Change a Site's IP address.
- Select the domain from the list or type the domain you want the IP for.
- From the New Address drop box, select the IP address from the list.
If you are looking for a dedicated server solution but are unsure how to go about getting one, read more about how to get a dedicated server here.
Thank you for your feedback!