How do I upload a file to my server?Written by James Richardson
There are quite a few ways to upload a file to your server at InMotion Hosting. How you upload your files will depend on your preference and your accessibility to the server. In this tutorial, we will explain how to upload a file using the File Manager, FileZilla, and Notepad++. We assume that you know where within your account you need to upload your files. If you're not sure however, please see our article entitled What directory should I put my files in?.
What's the difference between each method
There are reasons why a developer would use File Manager, FileZilla, or Notepad++. The following will explain why you would pick one method or the other.
File Manager (browser based): The File manager is good to use when you are away form your computer and you can access a browser. The File Manager can be accessed from any location. This eliminates the need to install a program like FileZilla or Notepad++.
FileZilla (FTP): FileZilla is good to use for uploading files because it works over port 21 and can upload mass amounts of files all at once.
Notepad++ (Code Editor): Using Notepad++ is a way to upload files while you create the content for them, notepad++ is similar to DreamWeaver in that you can Edit files and upload them through the same interface. This eliminates the need to have an HTML editor and a FTP program at the same time.
How to upload a file through File Manager
- Login into your cPanel.
Go to the File Manager, select the public_html directory and click Go.
- Navigate to the directory you want to upload a file to.
Click the Upload link at the top of the File Manager.
- Browse your local computer for the file you want to upload.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Close the Upload files page. Refresh your File Manager by clicking the Reload link at the top middle of the File Manager.
You should see the file listed in the File Manager now.
How to upload With FTP using FileZilla
FileZilla has the ability to upload files from your computer to your server with us. The Left side is the" Local Site" and the Right is the "Remote Site". The "Local Site" is your where your computer files are located. The "Remote Site" is the location of the files on the server. Below is how to upload a file using FileZilla.
- Connect to your server with FileZilla.
- Navigate your files in the third window on the left underneath the "Local Site:" box where its says"Filename".
- The Window to the right of it is the "Remote Site" directory. Navigate to the folder where you want to upload the file/folder to in the "Filename" Window underneath the "Remote Site" window.
Drag the file you want to upload to the server from the "Local Site" to the "Remote Site".
Using a program like Notepad++
Notepad++ is a program that allows you to edit your site and upload and create files on the server. It is similar to HTML editor programs like Edit Plus or DreamWeaver. Below will explain how to create a file on your server with Notepad++.
- Connect to your server with Notepad++.
- In the NppFTP Window on the right side of Notepad++, navigate to the folder you want to upload a file to. Right click the folder and select "Upload other file here. . .".
- Browse the server for the file you want to upload. Select the file and Click open.
To see other articles available on how to manage your files, please visit How to manage your files on your server?.
To learn how to edit a file, see our article How do I edit a file on my server?.