Zip and Unzip Files using Windows 7
In this tutorial:
In this tutorial we will show you how to Zip and Unzip a file or folder in Windows 7. You can then transfer a zipped file safely over the internet, or unzip a file that was shared with you. I will be using the tools included in Windows 7. This is convenient, since it does not require any additional software installations.
Zip a File/Folder
- In Windows, navigate to the file/folder you want to zip, and Right-click it.
- On the menu that pops up, roll your mouse over Send to, then click Compressed (zipped) folder.
- You will see a new zipped file/folder appear, it will have a "Z" on it for identification. It contains the file/folder you selected, and will have the same name. Feel free to enter a new name is necessary, then click the Enter key to save the file.
Unzip a File/Folder
- In Windows 7, navigate to the zipped (compressed) file you want to Unzip, and right-click it.
- On the menu that pops up, roll your mouse over Open with, then click Windows Explorer.
- You will then see the contents of the zip file. Click the file and drop it on your desktop, or another file location. The contents of the file will be unzipped, and you can then use it as needed.
Congratulations, now you know how to Zip (compress) or Unzip (uncompress) a file in Windows 7!
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!