How to solve a “You cannot install more than one script in the root directory of a domain" error
If you have installed a third party software package through Fantastico, until the software is removed you will not be able to install any other software in that folder. If you try to install a different software package, you’ll get the “You cannot install more than one script in the root directory of a domain” error. This error can be corrected in two ways.
Removing Software Using Fantastico
- Log into cPanel
- Click on the Fantastico icon (Blue Smiley Face)
- Click on the software that has been installed on the left side menu pane. In this example, we’ll remove a copy of WordPress we installed
- Find the specific installation and click “Remove”
- Click “Remove WordPress”
Manually Removing Software
If you have manually deleted the files associated with the software you are attempting to remove, you may still see the error. This is due to a file called “installed_in_root.php” located in the .fantasticodata folder in the root of your account. Please take note, this folder is in the root of the account, not the public_html folder which is the web root.
- Log into cPanel
- Go to File Manager and open the root folder
- Click on the .fantasticodata folder on the left menu tree
- Right click on the “installed_in_root.php” file and select “code edit”
- Find the entry that corresponds with the specific installation you manually removed and delete it :
- Click “Save Changes”
Please keep in mind, unless this is the only entry in the file, do not delete anything but the specific reference. Remove everthing after the first semi-colon – through the next semi-colon.
Now, you can install the software again using Fantastico. If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center.
Thank you for your feedback!