How to transfer domains in AMP
Domain transfers can be processed in the Account Management Panel(AMP) for your account. The transfer can be handled for you using the domain concierge service for a small fee, and you can contact our live technical support team in order to initate the service. Alternatively, you may transfer the domain yourself by going through our Domain Transfer Walkthrough for beginning users. There is also an Advanced User Option for more experienced users. If you opt to transfer the domain yourself, each Shared and Reseller plan receives one free domain transfer, and additional transfers are $11.99. For VPS and Dedicated plans, domain transfers are $11.99 each.
If you seek to move a domain by changing your name servers, or you don't know the difference, please see Domain Names - Registrar Transfer versus Name Server Change for an explanation.
Domain Transfer Requirements
Before you can transfer a domain you must meet the following requirements:
- InMotion Hosting can only support .com, .org, .biz, .net,.us or .info domains. If your domain type is not included in this list, you can still host the domain with InMotion Hosting, but you will need to change your nameservers.
- The domains must be past their 60 day waiting period after you have purchased them.
- If your domains are set to expire within 14 days, you will need to first renew the domain with its current registrar. This is required in order to prevent the loss of your domain name in the event that the transfer request fails.
How to use the Domain Transfer Walkthrough in AMP
- Login into AMP
- In the Manage My Account Section, click on Transfer Domain
- You will see the option to use either the Domain Transfer Walkthrough, or the Advanced User option on the right. Select the Domain Transfer Walkthrough
- You will then see a list starting with a check to see if your domain is available for transfer. Type in the domain name and select the domain extension type
- Click on Check Availability in order to check the domain. If it's okay, you'll see a green checkmark and a message stating that the domain is available for transfer
- In step 2, you need to confirm that you do not have domain privacy enabled.
- Next you will need to confirm that your name servers are correct. This insures that when your domain name is transferred you will be able to use it for websites that are hosted on InMotion Hosting. Please read the explanation provided in this section for more information. Click on the checkbox, if your name servers are set correctly, then click on the button labeled CONTINUE to proceed
- Step 4 requires that you get the authorization code. This code (also known as an EPP code) is what allows the transfer of the domain from one registrar to another. The Authorization Code can only be obtained through your current domain registrar. Type in the authorization code that you receive from your registrar in the field labeled Please enter the authorization code:
- The next step requires that you have access to your domain's administrator email. This is typically set when you register your domain. In order to modify the administrator email address you may be required to use your current domain's interface for editing your domain's information. It is vital that you have access to the administrator email on the domain in order to complete the transfer! Click on the checkbox to indicate that you have access to the domain's administrator email, then click on CONTINUE in order to proceed
After you confirmed that you have access to the Administrator email, you will see the order form for the transfer process. The form provides a summary for the transfer starting with the domain name. The screenshot at right shows you what the form looks like, while the table below explains each form item.
Enter a Domain Name Name of the domain name you are trying to transfer. Double-check to make sure that it is the correct domain name and spelled correctly. Domain Privacy This option can be added by clicking on Add if you want it for your domain. This option is not free and costs $9.99 per domain. Domain privacy prevents WHOIS queries from obtaining your contact information. Billing Information Click on the drop down arrow in order to change the billing information Payment Method Even if you're receiving a free domain transfer with your hosting plan, you will be requested to provide a payment method. This is typically a credit card, which is required in order to prevent the domain registration from expiring. If the transfer is free with your plan, your card will not be charged. Also, clicking on the drop-down arrow may give you the option of using a check. The option to use a check as payment will only available if you have previously used a check for payment on the account. Credit Card Information To add a new card, click on the drop down arrow. No charges will be made to the card if the transfer is free. Terms of Service Once you have added the card, read the Terms of Service, then click on the checkbox where it is labeled I Agree. You will see the summary of the charges listed below the instructions to check the box.
- Once you have clicked on the Terms of Service checkbox, click on SUBMIT to proceed, or CANCEL if you wish to discontinue the transfer process. When the form is submitted, you will see a message confirming that the transfer request has been processed, and a copy of this confirmation message will be sent to the primary email address in your account. Click here to see an example of the confirmation email.
The final step occurs when you receive a reply from InMotion Hosting's domain registrar - Melbourne IT. You should see a reply within 1-3 days. The email confirming the transfer is sent to the administrator email for the domain. Make sure to whitelist *@melbourneit.com.au in your email spam filter so that the email is not lost in your junk/spam folder.
Click on the Link in the Email to confirm the transfer. You will then be prompted to enter a "password", but this refers to your authorization code. Enter your authorization code in order to complete the transfer process.
This completes the transfer process using the Domain Transfer Walkthrough. On the same page as the instructions for the domain transfer you will see the List of Existing Domain Transfers in the right hand of the page.
The Advanced User Option for transferring domains
The main difference between the Domain Transfer Walkthrough and the Advanced User Option is that the Advanced User Option skips the first three steps. These steps involve removing domain privacy, unlocking the domain, and obtaining the authorization code. These steps are assumed to be completed before you begin the process. Here are a summary of the remain steps:
- Confirm access to the Administrator Email
- Complete the order transfer form (billing information, payment method, and Terms of Service)
- Await the confirmation email, then click on the link provided in the confirmation email that arrives from Melbourne IT. The link requests a password, but it refers to your authorization code.
Congratulations! This completes the domain transfer process. Note that although you have completed the transfer process, it may require up to a week before the transfer is finalized between the domain registrars.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2014-08-13 8:05 am
NO PRESENT INFORMATION FOR CUSTOMERS WHO WISH TO TRANSFER THEIR DOMAINS FROM INMOTIONHOSTING TO OTHER REGISTRAR. HOW TO GET MY AUTHORIZATIONS CODES FROM YOU???????
2014-09-04 1:24 pm
Thank you for your comment. We have a full walk-through guide on How to unlock your domain name and retrieve your Authorization Code.
You can then use the Authorization code to initiate a domain transfer to your new registrar.
If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.
2014-09-04 12:25 pm
I want to know if i can delete one of our current registered domains at inmotion, and then, replace it for another new one, without pay any additional cost.
Whe are looking for a hosting change of our active website. We like to move it to your hosting services, and then change dns info at our registrar. But we already have an account with 2 domains set. One of them is useless, so we like to know if we can replace with the new (and current) one, and continue paying the same anual fee.
2014-09-04 1:27 pm
Thank you for your question. Domain registrations are for a year, so once they are registered they cannot be cancelled. You would have to register the new domain name to own it.
Here is a link to our guide on Deleting a domain from your cPanel.
You can then Addon the new domain.
If you have any further questions, feel free to post them below.
2014-09-04 1:58 pm
Thanks for your reply. We already have register our domain (at other provider) So, we need to "move" it from our current host to your servers. We ´ll do the DNS delegation pointing to your services. But the main question is: in the middle, we can stay on-line without lost of service? I mean, we can mantain both hosting services, with the content of our current website, and just wait while the change at DNS pointers wll propagated and the users and customers never knows about the change ?
By the way : You telling me that we need to buy another "domain register" to host the new one besides we delete one of the two we already have with your services?
2014-09-04 2:12 pm
To move the site from another host to us, you would simply need to create a new addon domain, move a copy of your site to that domain, then point the DNS over. This way, during propagation there will not be any downtime as users would either be going to the old host or us depending on how long their DNS takes to propagate.
If you already own the domain, you will not need to purchase the domain, just point it over.
2014-10-18 10:16 pm
I started the walkthrough to transfer a domain. During this process, when it got to the part of verifying that privacy is turned off, I discovered that privacy was still on for my domain at the other hosting service. So, I logged into the other service and turned off privacy, then returned to continue my transfer. I refreshed the page and it started the process over. This required me to enter the domain name again. When I did, it says now that the domain has already been saved for this transfer. And, it won't let me progress through the process. How do I return to the process to complete it?
2014-10-20 11:51 am
When you return to the transfer page, there should be a link to resume a saved transfer. Click that to continue your domain transfer.