Domain transfers can be processed in the Account Management Panel(AMP) for your account. The transfer can be handled for you using the domain concierge service for a small fee, and you can contact our live technical support team in order to initate the service. Alternatively, you may transfer the domain yourself by going through our Domain Transfer Walkthrough for beginning users. There is also an Advanced User Option for more experienced users. If you opt to transfer the domain yourself, each Shared and Reseller plan receives one free domain transfer, and additional transfers are $11.99. For VPS and Dedicated plans, domain transfers are $11.99 each.
If you seek to move a domain by changing your name servers, or you don't know the difference, please see Domain Names - Registrar Transfer versus Name Server Change for an explanation.
Domain Transfer Requirements
Before you can transfer a domain you must meet the following requirements:
- InMotion Hosting can only support .com, .org, .biz, .net,.us or .info domains. If your domain type is not included in this list, you can still host the domain with InMotion Hosting, but you will need to change your nameservers.
- The domains must be past their 60 day waiting period after you have purchased them.
- If your domains are set to expire within 14 days, you will need to first renew the domain with its current registrar. This is required in order to prevent the loss of your domain name in the event that the transfer request fails.
How to use the Domain Transfer Walkthrough in AMP
- Login into AMP
- In the Manage My Account Section, click on Transfer Domain
- You will see the option to use either the Domain Transfer Walkthrough, or the Advanced User option on the right. Select the Domain Transfer Walkthrough
- You will then see a list starting with a check to see if your domain is available for transfer. Type in the domain name and select the domain extension type
- Click on Check Availability in order to check the domain. If it's okay, you'll see a green checkmark and a message stating that the domain is available for transfer
- In step 2, you need to confirm that you do not have domain privacy enabled.
- Next you will need to confirm that your name servers are correct. This insures that when your domain name is transferred you will be able to use it for websites that are hosted on InMotion Hosting. Please read the explanation provided in this section for more information. Click on the checkbox, if your name servers are set correctly, then click on the button labeled CONTINUE to proceed
- Step 4 requires that you get the authorization code. This code (also known as an EPP code) is what allows the transfer of the domain from one registrar to another. The Authorization Code can only be obtained through your current domain registrar. Type in the authorization code that you receive from your registrar in the field labeled Please enter the authorization code:
- The next step requires that you have access to your domain's administrator email. This is typically set when you register your domain. In order to modify the administrator email address you may be required to use your current domain's interface for editing your domain's information. It is vital that you have access to the administrator email on the domain in order to complete the transfer! Click on the checkbox to indicate that you have access to the domain's administrator email, then click on CONTINUE in order to proceed
After you confirmed that you have access to the Administrator email, you will see the order form for the transfer process. The form provides a summary for the transfer starting with the domain name. The screenshot at right shows you what the form looks like, while the table below explains each form item.
Enter a Domain Name Name of the domain name you are trying to transfer. Double-check to make sure that it is the correct domain name and spelled correctly. Domain Privacy This option can be added by clicking on Add if you want it for your domain. This option is not free and costs $9.99 per domain. Domain privacy prevents WHOIS queries from obtaining your contact information. Billing Information Click on the drop down arrow in order to change the billing information Payment Method Even if you're receiving a free domain transfer with your hosting plan, you will be requested to provide a payment method. This is typically a credit card, which is required in order to prevent the domain registration from expiring. If the transfer is free with your plan, your card will not be charged. Also, clicking on the drop-down arrow may give you the option of using a check. The option to use a check as payment will only available if you have previously used a check for payment on the account. Credit Card Information To add a new card, click on the drop down arrow. No charges will be made to the card if the transfer is free. Terms of Service Once you have added the card, read the Terms of Service, then click on the checkbox where it is labeled I Agree. You will see the summary of the charges listed below the instructions to check the box.
- Once you have clicked on the Terms of Service checkbox, click on SUBMIT to proceed, or CANCEL if you wish to discontinue the transfer process. When the form is submitted, you will see a message confirming that the transfer request has been processed, and a copy of this confirmation message will be sent to the primary email address in your account. Click here to see an example of the confirmation email.
The final step occurs when you receive a reply from InMotion Hosting's domain registrar - Melbourne IT. You should see a reply within 1-3 days. The email confirming the transfer is sent to the administrator email for the domain. Make sure to whitelist *@melbourneit.com.au in your email spam filter so that the email is not lost in your junk/spam folder.
Click on the Link in the Email to confirm the transfer. You will then be prompted to enter a "password", but this refers to your authorization code. Enter your authorization code in order to complete the transfer process.
This completes the transfer process using the Domain Transfer Walkthrough. On the same page as the instructions for the domain transfer you will see the List of Existing Domain Transfers in the right hand of the page.
The Advanced User Option for transferring domains
The main difference between the Domain Transfer Walkthrough and the Advanced User Option is that the Advanced User Option skips the first three steps. These steps involve removing domain privacy, unlocking the domain, and obtaining the authorization code. These steps are assumed to be completed before you begin the process. Here are a summary of the remain steps:
- Confirm access to the Administrator Email
- Complete the order transfer form (billing information, payment method, and Terms of Service)
- Await the confirmation email, then click on the link provided in the confirmation email that arrives from Melbourne IT. The link requests a password, but it refers to your authorization code.
Congratulations! This completes the domain transfer process. Note that although you have completed the transfer process, it may require up to a week before the transfer is finalized between the domain registrars.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!