Root Access and How To Obtain It
Gaining root access to your server can be a bigger deal then you may think. It does give you ultimate access to everything regarding your server, in both WHM and via SSH as well. Please keep in mind that you may not need root access to perform your everyday activities. This article requires you to already have a VPS or Dedicated server plan. To make sure you are on the correct plan you may find out what server you are on.
What is Root Access?
If you're familiar with managing a Windows server, you know then that the Administrator can edit any files on the server and perform any tasks they need to. Linux has a similar administrative account, but it is named "root" instead of "administrator".
The Root user on the server can do much more than the standard user. The root user can perform various tasks that other users cannot, such as:
- Install server wide applications
- Configure server wide applications, such as Apache or MySQL
- Edit any file on the server
Root access is not given by default on VPS or Dedicated Hosting Accounts. Because the root user can do anything they want, the level of support we can offer varies slightly for accounts that have root access. Because of this, we require users to accept our Root Access Disclosure before we allow root access to their servers.
How to Request Root Access
- Log into your AMP.
- Find the icon for Request Root Access and click on it.
- Read through the agreement prior to checking the box stating you understand the responsibilities of having root access. Click the button for your root password.
- After a few seconds you will see your new root password below where the buttons are.
How to Reset Your Root Password
- Log into your AMP.
- Find the icon for Change Root password and click on it.
- Click Reset password and your new root password will be shown below the button.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!