Update: 12/6/2012 12:35PM EST - At this time all of our shared servers and dedicated servers have successfully had the latest cPanel security updates applied to them. Our VPS fleet of servers is still in the process of having these updates rolled out to them, so if you're on a VPS server you could possibly still notice slight service degradation while these updates complete.

Our system administration team is currently in the process of rolling out a new urgent cPanel/WHM security release that came out today. Please note that while these updates are taking place there could be temporary spikes in server usage, and temporary unavailability of services.

These security updates are being rolled out after cPanel has stated these are important security updates that their own internal teams have found. They state that there is no reason to believe that the vulnerabilities are known to the public at this time.

InMotion Hosting takes a strong stance in regards to our customers' security, so we are going ahead with the updates right away. cPanel should be releasing further information on the vulnerabilities patched on December 6 2012.

You can read the direct cPanel security notice from their website below:

IMPORTANT: Security Release cPanel & WHM 11.32

We value your feedback!

Why was this article not helpful? (Check all that apply)
The article is too difficult or too technical to follow.
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
How did you find this article?
Please tell us how we can improve this article:
Email Address
Name

new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!

Like this Article?

Related Questions

Here are a few questions related to this article that our customers have asked:
Ooops! It looks like there are no questions about this page.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!
Ask a Question
2012-12-04 6:42 pm
As I expressed to one of your employees, while I understand the need for the fix, a little warning would have been good. We've been impacted business-wise as our email is down due to the updates. It's been down for at least 3.5 hours.

Even with emergency being important, we should have been notified to make arrangements. We have emails and hosting elsewhere with Cpanel that have not gone down due to this update. Again, I understand the importance, but something should have been said.

best,

Michael
2012-12-05 10:02 am
Yes, I agree with the person above; I understand it was an emergency, but you could have sent out an email (even during the upgrades), stating what has happened and to expect outages. The updates affected the database that hosted my Wordpress website, taking it offline for about 2 hours.
Staff
17,014 Points
2012-12-05 10:13 am
Hello everyone,

As the upgrade was sent to us as an emergency, there was not time to send an email blast to all customers, creating even more strain on the network as they go out and were responded to. We did send announcements here on the site, and via Twitter and Facebook social media networks.

Best Regards,
Scott M
2012-12-05 11:28 am
I had 20 business websites go down shortly after 9am this morning.

No one person could send a warning email that VPS servers and access might be down? Really?

I'm sorry, but I don't check IMH's website, Twitter stream or Facebook stream daily. Shouldn't be a need. Only reason I know there's a problem is because I pay a third party service to monitor my websites and send me text alerts when there is a problem.

In Motion Hosting's IT and Customer Support better come up with an action plan to proactively manage events like this in the future.

I'm really disturbed by all the outages this year. This is the 14th one I've kept track of. I experienced at least half dozen in 2011.

-Roland
2012-12-05 11:39 am
When should we expect to be back up?
2012-12-06 4:26 am
Good day,
Do we know when the service will be restored. It is the second day without any access to email and cPanel. I have no access to Perldesk therefore cannot create support ticket online. Do we have any update?
Best regards,
Simon
2012-12-11 4:23 am
I'm really starting to hate business that uses Facebook or Twitter as their primary too for news that a lot of us never check. I don't even have Facebook and Twitter I only check like once per week.

This is a bad practice! This should have been sent to customer email. I check my email every hours.

Not some third party tool bullcrap.
2012-12-15 1:03 am
I was not happy to come home this evening to discover my blog was gone with no warning. I'd like to second what Roland said about Facebook, etc. I "like" you on Facebook, but your updates never appear in my feed. I'm supposed to go out of my way to check your Facebook account so I can have a warning of this kind of thing? I'd been wanting to move another domain and website over to you, but right now I'm very glad it's still with Network Solutions(!). At least I still have a majority of my email, since they host that. I realize nothing is 100 percent, but really.

It was only when I just came here that I first discovered that there have been serious issues with your service that started days ago. I have been happy with your customer service before--it's one of the reasons I've been an enthusiastic customer. This is terribly disappointing. Tech support claims that service will return soon. Judging by the comments here, it's been out quite a while already. A better estimate would be appreciated.