Creating an email account in ThunderbirdWritten by Brad Markle
Click here to watch a video tutorial
This article teaches you how to set up an email account in the Thunderbird email client. Below are the step by step instructions.
How to create a new account in Thunderbird
- Open up your Thunderbird email client onto your desktop
- In the left hand sidebar you will see a Local Folders. Click on the selection and the right hand panel will offer you several options. Click on the Create A New Account option.
- In newer versions of Thunderbird, you will be met with a popup offering a new email account from a few sponsors. You simply need to click the button at the bottom entitled Skip this and use my existing email!
- You are now taken to a page where you will enter your existing email information. After entering the information, click on the Continue button at the bottom of the page.
- Thunderbird will now try and find standard connection information to connect the email account. It is best to configure this information yourself by clicking the Manual Config button found at the bottom. Be sure to select the incoming protocol you wish to use (IMAP or POP3). You can read about the differences here. Generally speaking, IMAP is best if you plan on checking the email from multiple devices.
- This is the manual configuration page, where you will set up the incoming and outgoing servers and their respective ports. Once you have entered your settings, hit the Re-test button. If the settings are correct, the Done button will become available. Click it to move on to the next step.
Server Hostname You will need to know the servername to the email company you are using. InMotion servers use mail.servername.com. Others may use imap.mail.servername.com or pop.mail.servername.com, which are fairly standard. Port Port number will change depending on your IMAP/POP choice as well as your SSL choice. Use the table below to determine which port number to use. Incoming Ports IMAP 143 IMAP with SSL 993 POP3 110 POP3 with SSL 995 Outgoing (SMTP) Ports Regular (Non-SSL) 25 or 587 SSL 465 SSL This is where you set your encryption settings.
Autodetect Thunderbird will test different standard encryption and port settings. None Standard setup with no encryption STARTTLS Not used for InMotion Hosting Servers. SSL/TLS Standard encryption setting. Authentication Autodetect Thunderbird will test different standard encryption and port settings. Normal Password Use an unencrypted password (Recommended Setting.) Secure Password Use an encrypted password. Kerebros/GSSAPI Security Protocol not supported by InMotion Hosting servers. NTLM Microsoft security protocol. (Not supported by InMotion servers)
- If you did selected the normal (unencrypted) settings, you will be presented with a popup telling you that the email connection to the server is unencrypted. You can check the I understand the risks checkbox and then click the Done button to continue.
That should complete the process of adding an email address to the Thunderbird email client. You should now see your new email address in the left hand sidebar. That means it is ready for use!
Like this Article? Tweet
If you need some help, submit your question to our Community!
We guarantee a response within 60 minutes (8am - 9pm EST, Monday - Friday)