Preventing Outlook from formatting mail as winmail.dat
Outlook can sometimes reformat attachments to 'winmail.dat'. This is most often when the email client is sending out emails that contain Rich Text such as bolg, italics, etc. The formatting is stored in the winmail.dat file. The recipient email clients may store that data as an attachment. Other normal file attachments are also stored as winmail.dat files as well. Below is a quick guide on how to stop this from happening.
How to prevent winmail.dat file types in Outlook
- Open up your Outlook email client.
- Click on File located in the upper toolbar.
- Select the Options setting.
- From here, select the Mail category.
- Now, under Compose messages, you want to ensure the HTML or Plain Text option is selected for the Compose messages in this format.style="clear:both;">
- Next, underMessage format, set When sending messages in Rich text format to Internet recipients to Convert to HTML format or Plain Test format
- Click OK to finish.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!