304: Install Munin plugin for WHMWritten by Jacob Nicholson
In this article we'll discuss installing the Munin plugin for cPanel/WHM. With the Munin Server Monitor plugin you can get a quick overview of what your server has been up to with reports on Apache, Disk Usage, Exim, MySQL, Network, Processes, and other System activities.
To install the Munin plugin yourself this would require root access on either your VPS (Virtual Private Server) or dedicated server. Or if you would like for a $25 installation fee we can install the Munin plugin for you.
If you already have root access on your server, below are the steps needed in order to get Munin installed and to start collecting data.
- Log into WHM.
- In the top-left Find box, type in plugins, then click on Manage Plugins.
- Place a check beside Munin in the Install and keep updated selection box, then click Save at the bottom.
- The install process should take about 3-5 minutes, and during that time you don't want to close your web-browser. When it finishes you'll see a Process Complete message at the bottom of the screen.
- Log out, and then back into WHM again.
- In the top-left Find box, type in plugins, then click on Munin Service Monitor.
- Now Munin sets up a cronjob to gather statistics every 5 minutes, so when you first look through your reports there won't be any data populated into them yet. So typically you'll want to wait at least 24 hours before you start reviewing the reports.
- You can click on your server's hostname, in this case server.inmotionhosting.com in order to get to a full summary of all the available reports.
- Below are some screen shots of the various reports available that you can get to by either scrolling down your main report page, or by clicking on one of the header links such as Apache at the top. You can also click on any of the individual report graphs to be taken to the monthly and yearly reports for that category as well:
You should now know how to get the Munin plugin installed in WHM which should help your keep tabs on the activity that happens on your server.