How to allow back orders in PrestaShop 1.5
In our last article, we described how to manually set inventory quantity for your product in PrestaShop 1.5. This article shows you how to allow a product to be ordered when it is out of stock, known as a back order.
To allow back order for a product in PrestaShop 1.5:
- Log into your PrestaShop 1.5 dashboard
- Using the top menu bar, hover over the Catalog tab and click on the Product selection.
- You are now on the Catalog: Products list page. From here, select the Edit icon (it looks like paper and pencil) on the right for the product you want to edit.
- You are now on the Catalog : Edit Products page. From here click on the Quantities tab on the left sidebar.
- To set your product to allow back orders, simply find the field named When out of stock and select the radio button named Allow.
- Next, you want to set the display text to let visitors know you can order this product even though it is our of stock. Add the text you want to display in the Displayed text when allowed to be back-ordered field.
Now you have successfully set your product to allow back orders in PrestaShop 1.5
‹Section 2: How to enable/disable the new order notification in PrestaShop 1.5
›Section 4: Setting a minimum order quantity in PrestaShop 1.5
Support Center Login
Social Media Login
Catalog Setup in PrestaShop 1.5
2014-06-04 12:18 pm
We have Inventory Management turned OFF.
So, my workaround is to add "OUT OF STOCK" to Product Name, and then uncheck "Available for Order" on the product information page in the back office.
I'd prefer to have a checkbox for backorders even though inventory management is turned off. Then the Add to Cart button could change to "Out of Sstock" unclickable button in red.
Even the product lists could feature a red ribbon that says Out of Stock (like the one for On Sale!).
Maybe a future enhancement for Prestashop.
2014-06-04 2:13 pm
Thanks for the comment. The tutorial above shows how to enable ordering of product even though the product is out of stock. You can also create a message (such as "We're out of stock, but you can back order the product.") that can be informative to the customer.
If you want more functionality, try looking at the PrestaShop add-ons, for an expansion to the ordering interface.
PrestaShop 1.6 keeps the same functionality, but moves part of the option to a product preferences page that is linked from the product quantities section. By default, it allows product to be ordered even though it's out of stock. It also allows text to be added as per the instructions in the article above.
We are not the developers of PrestaShop, so it's best to directly to their website to communicate any future features.