301: How to Add Google Analytics to a Movable Type Website
Google Analytics is one of the best FREE ways to analyze your website traffic. The information provided is invaluable and can be used for many things, but ultimately its purpose is know your website statistics and how to use that information to improve your website. Movable Type makes it easy to add pages and code within its Administrator Dashboard. The following tutorial explains how to add Google Analytics into your Movable Type website and use it to track your website data. For information, go to Setting up a Google Analytics Account.
Installing Google Analytics to a Movable Type Website
In order to add Google Analytics, you will be required edit a page of the Movable Type website. You should always make a backup of your website before making any changes to the code.
Setup Account and Obtain Google Analytics Tracking Code
- Set up a Google Analytics Account. You can go to Google Analytics to create the account.
- Add Movable Type web site to your account.
- Get tracking code. If the account is setup, go to ADMIN, then click on TRACKING INFO and you'll see your tracking code. The code needs to go into the header page for Movable Type websites (or every page that you want to track).
Find and open Movable Type header page
- Login to the Movable Type Administrator Dashboard.
- Click on the website you wish to edit.
- Scroll down the left side of the interface until you see DESIGN. Click on the drop-down arrow and then click on TEMPLATES when it appears in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down the Manage Website Templates area until you find the Template Modules. Click on HTML HEAD or whatever the theme uses as the header template.
- Copy the code snippet from your Google Analytics account and paste the code into the top of the code.
- Click on SAVE CHANGES at the bottom of the file.
Did you find this article helpful?
We value your feedback!
Why was this article not helpful? (Check all that apply)The article is too difficult or too technical to follow.
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
How did you find this article?
Please tell us how we can improve this article:
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Here are a few questions related to this article that our customers have asked:
Ooops! It looks like there are no questions about this page.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!