Joomla 2.5 ACL - Creating User Groups
In this Joomla 2.5 tutorial, we will continue our discussion on Access Control Lists in Joomla by covering how to create a new User Group.
In this article, we will pretend that we're making a website for a school, and there will be three types of users: students, teachers, and parents. Today, we're going to create a new user group for teachers. This will allow us to segment teachers into their own group, and give those users different permissions than students and parents.
To create a new Joomla 2.5 ACL User Group:
- Log into your Joomla 2.5 Dashboard
- In the top menu, hover over Users >> Groups and then click Add New Group
- Enter a Group Title. In our example, we entered Teachers
- Choose a Group Parent. As we plan to allow our teachers to write new content, we will choose Publisher as the group parent.
- Click Save & Close
As you can see from our screenshot below, the Teachers Group now shows under the Publishers user group.
- We'll now take a look at the rights our new Teacher group has. In the top menu, hover over Site and click Global Configuration. Click the Permissions tab, and then click Teachers.
As you can see from the screenshot above, Teacher's core permissions will allow them to log into the front end of the site, create, and edit content.
Your next step will be to assign users to this new user group.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Joomla Community Google+ Hangout #3
June 3rd, 2014
Thank you @RustyJoomla for letting me speak on the Joomla Community Google+ Hangout!