Recover the Lost Password for the McAfee Control Console
McAfee provides a specific process to recover or change the Administrator password for logging into the McAfee Control Console. First time users of the McAfee protection option should go to Accessing the McAfee Control Console as an Admin to create their password for the first time. Recovering the Administrator password to login to the Control Console is identical to changing the password. This article explains the steps involved in making this change.
Reset a Lost Password for McAfee Control Console
- Log into cPanel, then go to the Mail section and click on the McAfee icon.
- The McAfee Email Protection Manager will open showing protection plans available (and used) in addition to a list of the domains that have been protected. In the bottom right hand corner, click on the field labeled McAfee Contact Email.
- The email address that is added to this field is used to create a forwarder in your email account. To see the created forwarder, click on the Mail section and the Forwarders icon in your cPanel.
The forwarder is used to re-direct email sent to the McAfee-Admin@protected_domain.com to the email address that you have indicated as the Mcafee Contact Email. If you wish to change this email address, click on the field and then click on the UPDATE button to save your entry.
- It may take a few seconds to update the email address, but when it is complete then click on the CONTROL CONSOLE in the top right hand corner.
- The login fields for the Control Console include an option to choose the language, and the fields for email address and password. Below the SIGN IN button is a link that reads: Forgot your password or need to create a password? Click on this link.
The window that follows is named "Change Password." The email address that needs to be typed in this field is the automatically created McAfee-Admin email address for the domain that you are protecting.
For example: "McAfee-Admin@domain_name.com". Select the top option below the field. You should only use the second option - email the Domain Contact- if you cannot receive email at your primary email contact. Select NEXT in order to proceed.
- You will the see the following message:
Please check the message sent to the selected email address for information on changing your password. If you need assistance, contact your system administrator.
An email is then sent to you using the forwarder that was created earlier. The screenshot below is an example of what you will see when the email is sent for changing or recovering the lost Administrator password.