How to manually install Drupal 8
This article will guide you on how to install Drupal 8 manually. There are several steps to installing Drupal 8:create your new site!
The first step we need to perform is to create a database and user for the Drupal installation. This is important as it is where all the data for the site is kept, including pages, data, users, etc. This is done via your cPanel interface.Creating a MySQL Database via cPanel
Now that you have the database and its connecting user profile set up, it is time to get the files uploaded to the hosting account. First, we need to get the current version of Drupal 8. That can be located at http://drupal.org/node/572834, which is currently the development version. The release candidate is due out in July 2013. Once the final release is available in September of 2013, you will be able to find it at http://drupal.org/start
Once you have downloaded the file to your local machine, you can continue with getting the files up to the hosting account.
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the compressed file. In our example, it is the downloads folder.
- Right click on the file and select Extract All to unpack the files. This may take a few minutes as there are quite a few files in the package.
- Once the files are extracted, open up your favorite FTP client and connect to the hosting server. From here, upload all the files in the local client folder to the desired folder on the server side. Be sure you are uploading from the folder with all the files and not one of the container folders.
Now that the files are uploaded, you are ready to run the Drupal Installer. This portion of the setup is from the Drupal program itself.
- Visit the site where you installed the files. If you installed them into your public_html folder, then simply visit your site, for example http://example.com. If you have installed the files into a subfolder, visit that. An example is http://example.com/subfolder.
- You will be met with the Drupal Installer screen. The first screen guides you to pick the language you want to use. Click the Save and Continue button to move on to the next step.
- Next, you will choose the profile you want to install. There are two, standard and minimal. The largest difference is based on which modules are activated by default upon the complete installation. The differences for Drupal 6 and 7 are in the documentation, but as of yet, the Drupal 8 portion has not been created. It is advised to use Standard unless you are an advanced user. Click on Save and Continue to move on.
- After Drupal verifies the requirements it will move you on to the database configuration. Enter the database name, database user, and password for the database you created in the previous step.
- The configuration will now proceed. You will see a progress bar as it works in this step. Once completed, you will see a screen with a few details to complete. These are for your site admin. Once completed, click on the Save and Continue button at the bottom. This will complete your installation and you can now visit your new Drupal site directly!
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Getting Started with Drupal 8
|1.||How to manually install Drupal 8|
|2.||Logging into Drupal 8 Administrator Dashboard|
|3.||How to change your admin password in Drupal 8|
|4.||Fixing the magic_quotes error when installing Drupal 8|
|5.||Resetting your Drupal 8 password|