Installing a theme in Drupal 7
Drupal 7 is a highly customizable content management system that has literally hundreds of free themes to change the look and feel of your installation. By now, you should have installed Drupal7 and configured it so your site displays the default theme. Free themes can be found on the drupal.org/project/themes site. In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through installing a specific theme called “Marinelli”.
Please take note, each theme may install differently and have various steps that have to be completed. While this tutorial shows you how to install a theme there may be further steps that must be done for the theme to resemble the demo site or image shown where you downloaded it. This particular theme does not need any extra steps as it is a basic theme.
To install a theme in Drupal 7:
- Once you have found the theme you want to install, find the Downloads section on the theme's page and click on the ZIP file to be downloaded. Be sure to select the appropriate version for the theme.
- Log into your Drupal admin dashboard.
- From the top menu bar, select Appearance and then click on the Install New Theme link found at the top of the page.
- On the install page you can either enter the entire URL where the theme zip file is located or, if you downloaded the file archive as we did previously, use the Browse button next to the Upload a module or theme archive to install field to find and upload the file from your computer. The field should reflect the path to the folder you downloaded the zip file.
- Click the Install button to upload and install the theme. Once completed, you should get a success message. Click Enable Newly Added Themes to continue to the themes page for the next step.
- From the Themes page, scroll down to the Disabled Themes section and find the new theme. Click on Enable and Set Default to make it the active theme. Clicking Enable will simply enable it, but not make it the active theme.
- You can now enjoy your new theme! Below is a before and after shot to demonstrate the changing of the theme.
If you need further assistance please feel free to ask a question on our support center.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
Working with themes in Drupal 7
2014-08-01 9:00 am
how do i customise drupal website templates as my personal website
2014-08-01 9:17 am
Is there something specific you are looking to customize? You may need to learn how to change the code in the templates in order to make your desired changes.