How to clone your site with Softaculous
There are times when you may want to have a test copy of your WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, or other site. Or you may simply want to move your site from one folder to another. Doing either of these can be very involved with such things as copying files, databases, changing configurations, etc. Softaculous, however has a new clone feature that makes this process much simpler. Since it leaves the original site in place initially, you can also simply clone your site in order to use it as a test environment and then delete it when done. Below is a quick step by step guide on how to clone a site that was installed using the Softaculous tool.
The ability to clone certain software installations using Softaculous, is limited to the ones that are compatible. Click here for the full list of clonable scripts.
Cloning a site using the Softaculous clone tool
- Log into your cPanel
- Locate and click on the Softaculous tool icon located under the Software/Services category.
- Once in the Softaculous tool, select the All Installations icon located in the upper right corner.
- This will list all the different program instances currently installed in your Softaculous. Locate the one you want to clone and click on the Clone icon.
- Once clicked, you will be brought to the Clone Installation page. From here you will need to fill out the details of where you want your clone to go. The image to the right displays a subfolder clone where we will be creating the new installation in a folder named "clone".
Choose Protocol Unless you have specific reasons to use http://www or the https://, stick with the default http:// Choose Domain If you are transferring to a subdomain or another main domain, select it here. In Directory If you are moving to a subfolder, enter that here. If not, delete anything here and make it blank. Database Name You can either name your database or leave it at the default.
- Once you have entered all the destination information for your clone, click on the Clone Installation button.
- After clicking on the button, Softaculous will install the clone to the new folder/domain/subdomain you selected. It also clones the database as well so that each copy has its own. (Be sure that you have enough room on your hosting plan for the databases or your clone will fail).
Th screenshot to the right shows a list of clones including a subdomain, domain, and a subfolder clone.
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.
new! - Enter your name and email address above and we will post your feedback in the comments on this page!
2013-09-25 5:40 pm
In Directory -
most of my friends consider me way more technical than they are. i consider myself not very good. thus that's about 97% of americans still might not understand how to do this or get lucky and not write over files. one click easy software like Softaculous means more new customers signing up for inmotion accounts.
i think the instructions could have a real life example. i'm on the Pro Plan so i get 25 domains. 1 domain is
special (that's all i know about that) and 24 are add-ons. i have no idea what is considered a root, which are in subfolders or they all are in subfolders. it depends if you reference the Home, public_html, or add-on domain or primary account domain. right now i need to do "add on" domain to "add on" domain and i believe JeffMa answered me in another article. but i think it would be so simple if you had, as i see it 3 real life examples.
1. "add on" domain to "add on" domain (would take care of 95% of us whiners. jeffMA wrote to me "In Directory" blank. that's the only field ambiguous)
2. "add on" domain to "primary account" domain
3. "primary account" to "add on" domain
2013-09-26 8:11 am
The process will be exactly the same for moving any site to anywhere else regardless of the status of the domain. The document root of the domain has no impact whatsoever on the clone function as Softaculous already knows your document root. Simply selecting the installation that you want to clone and then select the domain that you want it to go to in the next screen the same as you would during installation.