How to Add/Cancel Domain Privacy in AMP
In this tutorial:
Domain Privacy allows you to hide the contact information saved in the Domain that would otherwise be available to the public. The option of making your contact information used to be applied only upon first registering a domain. The latest update to the Account Management Panel has added the ability to add domain privacy to existing domains. The Account Management Panel (AMP) will apply the domain privacy and also automatically bill the account the appropriate amount based on the time period that you have selected. The following article explains how to find and this option within AMP.
Applying Domain Privacy to Existing Domains
- Log into AMP.
- In the main menu, move your mouse over Domains, and click Manage Domains
- You will then be on the Domain Management menu, click the Add Domain Privacy link to the right of the domain name.
- On the Order Services menu, you can view the order summary. When you have completed making sure that the billing information is complete and correct, click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the screen. **Note:Costs for domain privacy will be determined by the calendar year. So, for example, if you purchase domain protection in June, then the price is prorated so that you are only paying for the six months of the year where protection will be active. You will not be paying for the previous six months that have already passed.
At this point the payment will be processed. When it is completed, the domain privacy is also automatically applied. The privacy uses "Domain Admin" or "Domain Administrator" in the names listed for a WHOIS query. Additionally, the contact information given is the contact information of the InMotion Hosting Support Center. This information is used in place of the customer contact information.
To see the difference between a domain with domain privacy and one without, please see the table below:
|Without Privacy||With Domain Privacy applied|
When you run a WHOIS in a command line environment or with a website, you will see that the contact information is clearly available. The contact data used when domain privacy is applied is actually the contact information for InMotion Hosting. This keeps all of the personal contact information private. As personal contact information is often targeted by marketing firms trying for advertising campaigns, domain privacy was developed in order to hide customer information from would-be spammers, data miners, and hackers.
How to Cancel Domain Privacy
- Login to AMP.
- In the main menu, move your mouse over the Billing option, and click My Subscriptions.
- Find your domain privacy on the My Subscriptions page, and click the Cancel Domain Privacy link.
- On the Cancel Domain Privacy page, choose an address for your WHOIS information, and click the Submit button. You will then see a message stating "You have canceled your Domain Privacy subscription."
Congratulations, now you know how to cancel Domain Privacy from AMP!
We value your feedback!
There is a step or detail missing from the instructions.
The information is incorrect or out-of-date.
It does not resolve the question/problem I have.