How to Add Domain Privacy to Existing Domains in AMP
Domain Privacy allows you to hide the contact information saved in the Domain that would otherwise be available to the public. The option of making your contact information used to be applied only upon first registering a domain. The latest update to the Account Management Panel has added the ability to add domain privacy to existing domains. The Account Management Panel (AMP) will apply the domain privacy and also automatically bill the account the appropriate amount based on the time period that you have selected. The following article explains how to find and this option within AMP.
Applying Domain Privacy on Existing Domains
- Log into AMP.
- There are a few different ways to apply domain privacy to an existing domain using the Account Management Panel (AMP). The first option is to use Manage Domains. Click on Manage Domains in the left hand menu.
- When you are in the Manage Domains screen, you will the domains listed. To the immediate right of each domain, you will see a notice if the domain is protected or not. If it is not protected, then you will see a link that says ADD DOMAIN PRIVACY. Click on the link to add domain privacy.
- You will next see the billing information screen. Costs for domain privacy will be determined by the calendar year. So, for example, if you purchase domain protection in June, then the price is prorated so that you are only paying for the six months of the year where protection will be active. You will not be paying for the previous six months that have already passed. When you completed making sure that the billing information is complete and correct, please click on SUBMIT at the bottom of the screen to complete the payment process for the domain privacy.
At this point the payment will be processed. When it is completed, the domain privacy is also automatically applied. The privacy uses "Domain Admin" or "Domain Administrator" in the names listed for a WHOIS query. Additionally, the contact information given is the contact information of the InMotion Hosting Support Center. This information is used in place of the customer contact information.
You can also add Domain Privacy to existing domains in the Account and Billing Details section of AMP.
- Log into AMP.
- In the menu on the left scroll down until you see Account and Billing Details. Click on the Details link.
- You will see a list of the domains registered to your account. To the right of the domains is a column labeled PRODUCTS. If the domain does not have any privacy applied, then you will see a link labeled ADD PRIVACY.
- Click on the link and you will see the billing screen appear. You must fill this screen out with valid information before procceeding.
- You will next see the billing information screen. As per the instructions above, costs for domain privacy are automatically calculated based on the within the calendar year. When you have completed making sure that the billing information is complete and correct, please click on SUBMIT at the bottom of the screen to process the transaction.
To see the difference between a domain with domain privacy and one without, please see the table below:
|Without Privacy||With Domain Privacy applied|
When you run a WHOIS in a command line environment or with a website, you will see that the contact information is clearly available. The contact data used when domain privacy is applied is actually the contact information for InMotion Hosting. This keeps all of the personal contact information private. As personal contact information is often targeted by marketing firms trying for advertising campaigns, domain privacy was developed in order to hide customer information from would-be spammers, data miners, and hackers.
Thank you for your feedback!