Setting up new mailing list using MailMan

Category: Mailing Lists

binarywc
Asked:

Hits: 147
I need help setting up a MailMan Mailing list to send messages automatically upon receiving them. We want to set it up so that only 3 people can send messages to the list as well. Is this possible?

You must login before you can ask a follow up question.

You must login before you can submit an answer.

I have the admins field setup with the three email addresses but when we send our messages from one of those three addresses they still go into the Pending Requests and need to be approved.
binarywc
53 Points
That does not do anything about future messages. I am trying to avoid having to do that every time we want to send a meesage.
binarywc
53 Points

OTHER ANSWERS

-1

Scott
Staff
18,036 Points
Hello binarywc,

We currently do not have any support documentation for mailman. As we have not utilized the software nor configured it so I do not know if what you are asking is possible. You will want to check the software documentation or their support forum to see if that is a possible setup for you.

I did find a few links for you that may get you started:
University of Washington's Mailman FAQ's

Mailman's main documentation page

Mailman FAQs

Also, as a possible alternative, we do have documentation and are more able to support the phplist mailing list program.

Kindest Regards,
Scott M

You must login before you can post a comment about this answer.

I was told that I could get support with MailMan here in Community Support. Now you are telling me the exact opposite? This is horrible customer service. First I was told that I could get support over the phone or through email with this then they told me go to community support... and now I come to community support and you tell me sorry we cant help you. WTF? I do not have time to read documentation and figure this out and I do not want to use phplist or dada mail. Please find me someone who can help me with this issue.
binarywc
53 Points
Support for MailMan is extremely limited as we do not have much knowledge about it, but we are happy to help as much as possible.

To add administrators to your mailing list, you may enter them in the third box in the MailMan configuration General Settings which states that administrators may be added to that list.

Once those administrators are defined, you would simply send any emails from the administrator email address to the list's email address in which they would then be forwarded on to the mailing list subscribers.
JeffMa
8,314 Points
Staff
I have done that... and the messages I send are still going into the pending requests and not being sent automatically.
binarywc
53 Points
Be sure that you have listed the exact email address that it is coming from within the administrators box and not the moderators box. I have tested this configuration and confirmed that it is working correctly.
JeffMa
8,314 Points
Staff
what other email address would I be listing? I have the emails listed correctly. Messages are going into the Pending Requests as I said.
binarywc
53 Points
In addition to listing them within the administrators, if you visit your pending requests, you can also set that use to be able to send messages without moderation in the future as well.
JeffMa
8,314 Points
Staff
thats what i am asking for help with I cant seem to figure out how to get that working correctly.
binarywc
53 Points
Within the pending requests page, select the checkbox labeled:
Add xxxxxx@example.com to one of these sender filters as well as the Accept radio button.

If you select that option as well as the checkbox, it will approve all future messages as well. Note: I am referring to the second group of radio buttions, not the first as well as the checkbox directly above it.
JeffMa
8,314 Points
Staff
Okay, now when I send messages they dont go to the "pending requests" and they dont get sent either.
binarywc
53 Points
Any update on this yet, I sent over my credentials about 5-6 hours ago.
binarywc
53 Points
ignore last comment it was meant for another sub thread. Sorry for confusion
binarywc
53 Points
0

JacobIMH
Staff
9,968 Points
Hello binarywc,

Sorry for the issues you are experiencing with Mailman. Unfortunately this is some 3rd party software that we have so little requests about, that we don't have a lot of troubleshooting experience dealing with it when it doesn't work.

Here in the customer community we generally have more time to poke around at things than live support to figure out what might be going wrong, but just so you know we don't technically support Mailman at any level of support, so any suggestions we give you are just us trying to go above and beyond to help try to get your issues resolved.

If you would like to provide us with your Mailman administrative URL and credentials we'd be glad to look over your settings to ensure they are setup the same way as the server we use for testing. Each public comment has to be approved by us first, so we can remove any sensitive information from your comments prior to posting them to the public.

I've messed around Mailman a few times for customers and here are a few handy things to keep in mind:

All Mailman files are stored on your server at this location:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/

Helpful logs for troubleshooting problems can be found at:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs

You can SSH to your server to access these file locations.

Taking a look at the vette log you can see messages that Mailman has tried to handle and any problems encountered. Here are a few rejections I see in this log from your server:

Jul 29 03:34:06 2014 (17096) Announce post from forwarding-noreply@google.com held, Post by non-member to a members-only list
Jul 29 03:34:58 2014 (17096) Announce post from forwarding-noreply@google.com held, Post by non-member to a members-only list
Jul 29 03:37:23 2014 (17096) Announce post from forwarding-noreply@google.com held, Post by non-member to a members-only list
Jul 29 03:41:42 2014 (17713) Announce: Discarded posting:
From: forwarding-noreply@google.com
Subject: (#655087238) Warming House Youth Center Forwarding Confirmation -
Receive Mail from list@example.com
Reason: Non-members are not allowed to post messages to this list.

Jul 29 03:59:08 2014 (18028) Announce: Discarded posting:
From: davood@example.com
Subject: Re: this is a test
Reason: Blind carbon copies or other implicit destinations are not allowed.
Try reposting your message by explicitly including the list address in
the To: or Cc: fields.

Jul 31 18:42:24 2014 (9321) Announce: Discarded posting:
From: davoodd@example.com
Subject: This is very frustrating
Reason: Non-members are not allowed to post messages to this list.

It looks like you also had some stuff in the error log:

Jul 31 18:31:20 2014 (8826) error opening list: announcments_list.example.com

Jul 31 18:31:20 2014 qrunner(8826): Traceback (most recent call last):
Jul 31 18:31:20 2014 qrunner(8826): File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 278, in
Jul 31 18:31:20 2014 qrunner(8826): mlist.Lock()
Jul 31 18:31:20 2014 qrunner(8826): AttributeError : 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Lock'

You had errors about non-members repeated several times, and that last error seems to be because you don't physically have an announcements_list created in Mailman, it appears to be called announce_list.

As you're testing things with Mailman, one handy thing to do on your server would be to tail all of the Mailman logs to see what's going on at that time with this command:

tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/*

After you're done reviewing the logs you can just hit Ctrl-C to close out the command.

I was able to directly run some of the tests in the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/test directory and they seemed to run without error.

Again if you would like for us to test anything for you directly on your server to try to figure out why things might not be functioning properly, please provide us with any needed credentials and the steps you're taking when it seems like things don't work.

- Jacob

You must login before you can post a comment about this answer.

The info provided by JeffMa earlier today was not helping. So I went ahead and deleted the list I had set up earlier in the week which was called announce and recreated it. I then accidentally sent a test email. I do not have time to thumb through everything you provided. The domain name that the list is on is WarmingHouse.org. I am not sure why it is using example.com and not the domain itself in the logs. Please review the stuff from earlier. I have done everything Jeff told me to do and it is still not working.
binarywc
53 Points
I am not comfortable providing credentials here because other customers can see the thread.
binarywc
53 Points
Hello binarywc,

As this is a public forum I replaced your domain name with example.com. We can only see things from the log side of things at the moment, I had already reviewed your and Jeff's full discussion before posting my answer, when you have some time to read through it or provide us access to your Mailman administration we'd be glad to see if we can provide some additional assistance.

- Jacob
JacobIMH
9,968 Points
Staff
Hello binarywc,

You can simply submit a ticket with your Mailman credentials if you'd like. Just let them know in the ticket that Customer Community needs that information passed along to them and we can take a look for you.

- Jacob
JacobIMH
9,968 Points
Staff
Jacob, could i just create a ticket and provide the admin credentials for cPanel and tell them to pass it on to community support? Also, it is important to note that we use google apps for our email and that could be getting in the way here.
binarywc
53 Points
I set the list up at a subdomain list.mydomain.com the top level domain mydomain.com is what we are have google apps set up on.
binarywc
53 Points
Hello binarywc,

Yes you can pass the credentials through a support ticket, and knowing that Google Apps is involved with your mail is an important bit of information. That is more than likely causing your problems because if your MX records are not setup to go to the local server and are instead being picked up by Google this could cause some problems with the proper handling of bounce-backs, this is discussed over in the Google product forums.

- Jacob
JacobIMH
9,968 Points
Staff
If I provide all the credentials for cpanel and google apps would you be able to figure this out for me? I am extremely swamped right now and need this fixed ASAP.
binarywc
53 Points
Hello binarywc,

Again we can take a look for you, if you'd like to provide your credentials over a support ticket. But again do note that this is now dealing with two separate 3rd parties between Mailman and Google Apps and is not something we directly support. We've tested Mailman and it works for us using the standard mail setup that we use on all of our servers, so if you've changed that environment a bit we can't guarantee that we'd be able to get it to work for you but can give it a shot.

- Jacob
JacobIMH
9,968 Points
Staff
I will provide all the credentials and would greatly appreciate if you could look into it. I will send those over in the next couple hours. Please note also, I have created an account on google apps list@mydomain.com which forwards to the list. Thanks again for taking a look.
binarywc
53 Points
I sent the credentials in last night. Still waiting on a reply from you if you think you can fix it for me.
binarywc
53 Points
Hello binarywc,

It looks like you have 2-step authentication setup on your Google Apps account so I was unable to login. You also didn't have an MX record setup for your list.example.com sub-domain so I've gone ahead and created that for you to handle local deliveries of the mailing lists.

You now should just need to login to your Google Apps account and create a new user called announce@example.com, then login with that user and go to the email service area.

Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, and then select Foward a copy of incoming mail to and set the forward address to announce@list.example.com.

Here is a good article explaining the full process to configure Google Apps to work with Mailman.

- Jacob
JacobIMH
9,968 Points
Staff
Jacob, I realized that a few minutes ago about my google apps when I got the text message with the code lol. I will do what you just detailed and if I am still having issues I will disable 2-factor auto and let you know.
binarywc
53 Points
Thanks for all your assistance Jacob. We have decided that we will just be better off using MailChimp. This just became too much to deal with and we don't have any more time to spend on setting this mailing list up. Again thanks for the time you invested in trying to help me it is much appreciated.
binarywc
53 Points
Like this Question?

Related Articles

It looks like there are no related articles.
Would you like to ask a question about this page? If so, click the button below!