No problem at all for the help, that's what we're here for!
Taking a look at your account, it appears that you just have one email address currently configured under your domain name beginning with hello@
. When I look through the mail logs, I'm not seeing any remote connection attempts at all for that account.
So my best guess is that the server settings you're using in Gmail for your mail account aren't properly pointing to the server hosting your email account.
I created a test email account under your domain, and then used the following settings to add it as a POP3 account to my own Gmail account:
|Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server.||Checked|
|Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.||Checked|
|Label incoming messages:||Checked - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Archive incoming messages.||Un-checked|
I was successfully able to retrieve messages this way without a problem. You'll notice that I chose to use port 995
and to require an SSL connection to the shared-server's secure hostname, rather than directly to your domain name. This is touched on in our guide on email over SSL
One thing of note here while I was testing this out, is that after the mail was pulled into Gmail, I wasn't seeing it in my Inbox, nor in the email@example.com label that I had told it to label incoming messages with. However, if clicked on More -> All mail
or I simply used the search bar at the top of Gmail and entered in firstname.lastname@example.org
I was able to see the messages.
To be able to see new messages without doing that, I simply added a new filter directly in Gmail to catch them. You can follow these steps to set that up if you're running into the same issue:
- Click on the settings cog at the top-right in Gmail, and click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Filters tab.
- Click on Create a new filter
- In the To box, type in your email address.
- Next click on Create filter with this search.
- Check Apply the label and select your label from the Choose label... drop-down.
- If you'd like, also check Also apply filter to # matching conversations, then click Create filter.
Hopefully that will get it to start working for you, I'm not sure why right now there have been no connection attempts from Gmail to your account. I think if you switch over to using the SSL server name like I did that should help out. If you're still having problems let us know what else you're running into.